Incident with Turkish military patrol boat in Farmakonisi violates international law, say diplomatic sources
European Commissioner for Migration, Home Affairs and Citizenship Dimitris Avramopoulos had a meeting with Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim on the sidelines of the Munich Conference held on Friday in the Bavarian capital. Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu and the Minister for European Affairs Omar Celik also attended the meeting. The meeting took place in a constructive atmosphere and…
On This Day
- 1908: There was a big uproar in educational circles as the Demotic version of the Greek language was introduced in Primary Schools.
- 1912: Greek reporters were expelled from Turkey having been accused of writing "divisive" articles.
- 1956: ERE controversially defeated the Democratic Union coalition - which polled more votes - to win 165 seats in the Greek Parliament.
- 1959: The London Agreement was signed granting independence to Cyprus.
- 1993: The government of FYROM asked the Greek government for permission to open a consulate in Athens.
- Births: Giorgos Seferis, poet (1900), Michalis Konstantinou, footballer (1978).
- Deaths: Dr. George Papanicolaou, inventor of the Pap smear (1962), Giorgos Kalafatis, founder of Panathinaikos FC (1964), Christoforos Nezer, Greek actor (1970), Kostas Negrepontis, football player and coach (1973).
Five hundred U.S. troops began to arrive in a Romanian Black Sea port with tanks and hardware to bolster…
Russian lawmakers on Tuesday mounted a fierce defense of U.S. President Donald Trump’s former national security adviser, who resigned…