The Great Fire destroyed much of a city home to thousands of refugees, but once again Thessaloniki has become a
Firefighters battled wildfires raging northeast of Athens for a third day on Tuesday as Greece asked for help from its European partners to prevent them from spreading.
The fire started in Kalamos, a coastal holiday spot some 45 km (30 miles) northeast of the capital, and has spread to three more towns, damaging dozens of homes and burning…
On This Day
- 1943: The village of Kommeno, Arta prefecture, was destroyed by the Germans. 317 of its inhabitants were slain.
- 1960: Cyprus was officially proclaimed a republic with Archbishop Makarios III as president and Dr Fazil Kucuk as vice-president.
- 1974: Morphou was occupied by Turkish troops.
- 1974: Andreas Papandreou returned to Greece.
- Births: Andreas Stamatiadis (1935), footballer
- Deaths: Spyros Skouras (1971), Greek-American President of 20th Century Fox; Viki Moscholiou (2005), singer