Alexis Tsipras and his party promised ‘hope is coming’, then refashioned his government as a rightwing force
After steering New Democracy to landslide win, former banker says ‘hard work begins today’
Outgoing PM has been on quite a journey but he doesn’t seem to have taken the Greek people with him
After steering New Democracy to landslide win, former banker says ‘hard work begins today.’
With all votes counted on Monday, New Democracy was shown to have captured 39.8% and 158 seats, more than doubling its presence in the 300-seat parliament. Tsipras’s Syriza party won 31.5%.
A new cabinet is expected to swear in tomorrow and convene on Wednesday.
Greece’s outgoing prime minister, Alexis Tsipras, has handed over power to Kyriakos Mitsotakis, a former banker who navigated the centre-right New Democracy party to landslide victory in Sunday’s snap general elections.
In a changing of the guard that was as subdued as it was swift, Mitsotakis assumed office after he was officially…
On This Day
- 1831: Georgios Mavromichalis was executed for the murder of Governor Ioannis Kapodistrias
- 1931: Thousands of Cypriots marched on the governor's mansion in Lefkosia and set it afire.
- 1952: Speaking at a meeting of the Communist Party of the USSR, Nikolaos Zachariadis proclaimed that "Papagos and Plastiras are no different. All dogs are the same".
- 1953: Alexandra Ladikou was voted Miss World first runner-up.
- 1972: An Olympic Airways NIHON YS-11 crashed off the coast of Voula, Athens. 37 drowned, 19 were rescued.
- Births: Nikos Engonopoulos, painter and poet (1907)
- Deaths: Tom Carvel, Greek-American businessman (1990), Georgios Zoitakis, member of the junta that ruled Greece from 1967-1974 (1996), Yiannis Zigdis, politician (1997).
Alexis Tsipras and his party promised ‘hope is coming’, then refashioned his government as a