Greece’s Corruption Prosecutor Eleni Raikou resigned her position as head of the prosecutors investigating corruption on Friday, in a letter to Supreme Court Chief Prosecutor Xeni Dimitriou. Giving reasons for her decision, Raikou claimed she was being targeted by “unofficial power centers” due to her investigation of alleged extensive bribery of state officials by the pharmaceutical firm Novartis.
On This Day
- 1924: The 4th National Assembly abolished the monarchy and declared Greece to be a Republic.
- 1935: Generals Anastasios Papoulas and Miltiades Koimisis were executed for their role in the March 1 attempted coup d' etat.
- 1992: A Sudanese aircraft crashed on Mt. Hymettus due to pilot error.
- Births: Periklis Iakovakis, athlete (1979)
- Deaths: Anastasios Papoulas, general (1935), Alekos Livaditis, actor (1980)
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has crossed a line by comparing Germany’s government to the Nazis and is no…
Turkey’s president accuses west of nazism as row escalates after minister is turned away from Rotterdam consulate