The Great Fire destroyed much of a city home to thousands of refugees, but once again Thessaloniki has become a
Firefighters battled wildfires raging northeast of Athens for a third day on Tuesday as Greece asked for help from its European partners to prevent them from spreading.
The fire started in Kalamos, a coastal holiday spot some 45 km (30 miles) northeast of the capital, and has spread to three more towns, damaging dozens of homes and burning…
On This Day
- 1913: Greek forces vacated Thrace in accordance with the terms of the Treaty of Bucharest.
- 1943: The last convoy of Thessaloniki Jews arrived in Auschwitz concentration camp.
- 2004: The shot put event of the Athens Olympic Games was held in ancient Olympia.
- Births: Paraskevas Antzas (1976), footballer; Dimitris Salpingidis (1981), footballer
- Deaths: Alexandros Mavrokordatos, statesman (1865)